Thursday 9 October 2014

Over that cold?

Well, lets hope so!  That thing put me out.  Wow, I haven't been hit that hard in a very long time.  Wednesday I woke-up feeling even worse than when I went to bed.  I was starting to freak-out.  I missed my Monday run, and I was in no shape to run, let along do a brutal swim session.  I made the decision to just try to relax, watch movies and let my body heal.  I was pretty upset, especially as I got my reminder from my Google calender to go to swim practice and just laid there in bed with a frown.  It felt like I was swimming already, everything was moving slightly more than it should have been.

I woke-up this morning feeling the best I have in a few days, so I was feeling happy.  Then I closed my eyes for a second...NOPE!  I closed them for over an hour.  Whoops!  So I grabbed my stuff, had a super fast shower, skipped the shave, grabbed a granola bar and a banana on the way out the door for my breakfast and jumped on the bus.  I arrived for work with minutes to spare and had a really good day at work, short, sweet and lucrative!  All things that make me happy.  After work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I usually finish work at around 3 and work on homework for my night class.  Since I was sick, I didn't get ANY of my homework done from my Tuesday class, however, I had forgotten about that until I opened my binder and saw all of the problems that I had to do.  Mini freak-out, as we have a test on Tuesday, and this will be the only chance I have to ask my teacher any questions about the unit.  Without further dawdling I set to work, and was feeling quite pleased with myself.  Went to class and it was a good one, we got test review and started a new  unit.  This course is going extremely fast compared to the last few I took.

Right, so onto the triathlete part of this blog!  After I got home from class I was feeling alright.  It was 9°C so I opted for shorts and a technical long sleeve shirt.  No headband, no gloves.  I turned-on my Garmin, got my music started and headed out.  The run started off cold, but I expected that.  I was a bit worried that it was too cold, because my hands were a bit chilled and I was worried about being too cold in my already weakened semi-sick state.  I have read many articles over the years about when to run and when to stay in and rest when feeling sick.  One that sticks in my mind is if it's above the neck, you're safe, if it's below, rest.  Basically if it's in your chest...don't run.  So 2k in I started to feel really good, my circulation was churning-out lots of heat and my hands were feeling good.  Actually, 2k in I was feeling freaking awesome!  Totally bulletproof.  My body, and my mind for that matter definitely missed running.  Today was 6k.  I was supposed to put in 6 on Monday, 7 on Wednesday and 7 on Friday.  Clearly my schedule will no longer work.  I am thinking that I will put in 7 on Saturday, and then next week will be what this week should have been.  I do not think it would be wise to try to cram in all that mileage in tomorrow and Saturday.

So that's where we sit, a few days behind where I would like to be, but I think I will come out of this happy and healthy overall.

Now lets see how I feel tomorrow, I suppose that's the big test!

No comments:

Post a Comment