Sunday 28 September 2014

Week 2 wrap-up.

Alrighty, I actually get to do an end of week wrap-up!

The plan is to do this on a regular basis on Sunday evenings.  If I am working Sunday evening that becomes a lot harder, but I will try to be consistent!  Muahahaha, well, that is the plan after all isn't it?  Consistency is key!

Right after my last blog post, I went for a test ride on my trainer.  Fiddled around with a few things and found a setup that works well for my room, but barely!  Yoga mat on the ground, second computer monitor in a drawer in my dresser, put on The Transporter and just spun for 30 minutes to get the feel for it.  I need to manually measure my tire circumference because I seem to be going pretty damn fast...and I am not that strong of a rider!  I guess having zero wind resistance helps, but still...it's a 700 X 23C Continental  Hometrainer tire, and Garmin has a value for 23C tires on their site, but I am going to measure it.  Man oh man I got sweaty.  In addition to wind slowing you down, I see how well it works at cooling you as well.  Oh yeah, my glutes were hurting the next day!

Wednesday was pretty uneventful, went for my run in the morning, went well and felt good.  went to work, then met my family for dinner.  I cut it kind of close on eating before swim class though and was worried.  I finished my meal at roughly 10 after 7 giving me 1 hour and 20 minutes before getting into the pool for a very hard 1+ hour swim and was really worried about cramping.  I threw a Nuun tablet into my water bottle and the swim session went pretty well.  We had the same 32 lap warm-up (4 x 100 free, kick, pull, choice) x 2, then she got us working on T-pace stuff.  she wanted us going at 2:45 ish, but I happened to forget my watch..doh!  Couldn't see the pace clock, so I was relying on a buddy.  That really bothered me, and he wasn't giving us info.  I have a habit(already) of getting to the end of a set and telling my little swim group how long it was.  Not having my watch felt so debilitating.  Luckily I didn't need my watch for the next part, we took all the lanes out and swam counter clockwise like we were in a race and making turns.  I was going right to the corners and then turning and I got really annoyed because people were going so far to the inside!  It wasn't fair, I swam so much more than everyone else.  Wrapped-up practice and we got reminded by out instructor that the pool will be under maintenance next week.  We have been invited to join another location for the sessions on the same nights, but they are on the other end of the city, so that's not going to work out for me.  I could go on the Wednesday night, but I have a friend who wrote a play and is directing it, so I will likely do a swim right after work and go to the show!

I have been having goggle issues.  I need to find some new goggles because the ones that I have have been causing me issues.  I am not sure if they are too tight and it's deforming them so they leak, if they are not tight enough, or if they just don't fit my face well.  I pulled them really tight, to the point where it was uncomfortable and they didn't leak, but I didn't enjoy it.  I have a few recommendations, so I just need free time to go check that out.

So I have decided to move my long runs to Friday and this week my long run was 7k(not long, I know, but that's the point)  I worked 12 hours on Thursday and 10 hours on Friday.  I was going to go for my run on my break, but my left side of my hip was really bothering me.  all that being on my feet for mass amounts of time working did me in.  I had a really tough decision to make.  Do I just run anyways to make sure I maintain my mileage goals and stick to my plan and run when sore, or do I give it a day(work another 12 hour the next day) and see how it feels?  I decided to be smart about it and give my body a bit of time instead of risking causing more problems.  Instead of being healthy, I went drinking!  I got home at about 4am, and waking-up at 8 was not fun!  When I finished my shift at 10pm and went home I was feeling ready to rock!  Went-out and blasted out 7.5k.  I always enjoy running at strange times.  I ran past a pile of bars with people all dressed-up and outside smoking, and sitting on patios drinking beers.  I wonder what goes through their heads, probably something like "What the fuck is this guy doing at 11:00 on a Saturday?"  Well, I have no life, so running is what I do!  My right shoulder did hurt at about the 6k mark though, so I clearly need to put more work into my physio.

Sunday rolled around and I went to work(of course).  But today was just a day shift, meaning that I have time to do whatever I want for a while!  So naturally I came home, set-up my trainer and watched a livestream while I spun for 45 mins.  It's very interesting, with a bike that fits me well, I have way more muscles activating when I ride now.  I can feel my calves kicking in, and my glutes a bit as well, I need to start doing form drills when spinning as well, but I think I may just do another week of basic spinning before I start to mix it up.  I think 2 days a week on the bike is good for now until I see how my body deals with the extra load.  My left calf did tighten-up a bit when on the bike, but nothing unbearable.  I have issues around using electrolytes when on the bike for only like 45 minutes or an hour because if I always use them, it will get really expensive really fast.  .  maybe I should pop a Saltstick at the start of rides like that.  Lets see.  Nuun is $8ish for 12 tablets, Skratch labs was 23 for 20 servings.  Saltsticks were 29 for 100 caps.  That seems to be the most cost effective per serving that I currently have,  However, despite all these numbers, I shouldn't need electrolytes if I am only on the bike for 45 minutes and not pushing extremely hard right?  And I digress...  Today's spin went well, so I BBQ'd a burger, made a salad and enjoyed the rest of my evening off!

I'm pretty happy with my week, but I need to work on making my physio more consistent, I wasn't nearly as good at that as I was with my running and swimming, definitely something to take away from this week, lots of positives, but a few things on work on.  I especially need to get to the gym from time to time to do strengthening stuff.  Core, my different kinds of squats and supermans and some rowing.  I think I can use a band to get my working in, but I need to work on that.

I start class this week, so I am on my new work schedule starting on Tuesday, so that's exciting.  It looks like I can get into a proper routine which is oddly very exciting for me!

Speaking of physio, I need to do that right now, more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment